Don't want the boss to catch you surfing the web on company time? Don't want your teacher, classmates, roommate or significant other to see the web sites you're viewing? With Panic Button, a single click of a toolbar button will quickly hide all Firefox windows – bring them back by clicking a button on the Restore Session toolbar.
After installing Panic Button, the Panic Button toolbar button will be automatically added to the browser toolbar, if it is not there already.
- Make Panic Button work for you by choosing one of the following actions: Hide All Windows (the fastest option; a Restore Session toolbar appears after all Firefox app windows close so that you can bring back the browser windows after danger has passed), Minimize All Windows (slowest option – but all windows can be restored), Quit (close all windows and quit Firefox), or Hide and Replace (hides all browser windows and replaces them with a browser window displaying a web page at a specific URL; click on the Panic Button again to restore the browser session).
- Customizable toolbar button caption and icon.
- Press F9 to invoke the Panic Button action; the shortcut key can be changed, if desired.
- You can set a password to restore the browsing session, when the Panic Button action is set to Hide All Windows or Hide and Replace.
- Works with Private Browsing mode.
Hint: The configuration settings described above can be changed in the extension options.
Supported languages: English (United States), Chinese (Simplified), Dutch, Estonian, French.
Do you want Panic Button in your language? If you are fluent in English and another world language and would like to help update or add a new translation for Panic Button, consider joining Babelzilla and signing up for your language team!
Things You Should Know About
Any downloads in progress will continue in the background if clicking the Panic Button to hide or minimize all windows. If Quit was selected in extension preferences as the Panic Button action, downloads in progress will be canceled.
- Version 3.0.2
- - Fixed a bug affecting the extension preferences dialog on Windows and Linux (issue #26)
Download links below are provided for historical reference only. Always install the latest version that is compatible with your version of Firefox.
- Version 3.0.1
- - Bug fix: On Windows 10, Panic Button icons are missing (issue #25)
- Version 3.0
- - You can set a password to restore the browser session, when the Panic Button action is set to Hide All Windows or Hide and Replace. The password can be set or changed from the extension preferences dialog.
- - Tooltip caption can be set for the Panic Button toolbar button
- - The 20 available toolbar button icons have been enhanced to make them appear smoother on high-resolution displays
- - New reverse contrast toolbar button icons for dark-colored browser themes
- - Added support for Estonian
- Version 2.0.4
- - Bug fix: Options panel of extension preferences dialog doesn't work on Firefox Dev Edition
- - Bug fix: Restoring browser windows only restores the first one
- Version 2.0.3
- - Compatible with Firefox 47
- Version 2.0.2
- - Added Japanese localization
- - Minor tweaks to the icons in the extension preferences dialog
- Version 2.0.1
- - Added Korean, Polish and Russian localizations
- - Bug fix: Panic Button action isn't invoked if the Software Update dialog is open at the same time (issue #12)
- - Other minor fixes
- Version 2.0
- - Integration with the Firefox Australis user interface
- - Updated appearance of the 20 built-in Panic Button toolbar icons (Linux users on Firefox 28 or older will still see the old icons)
- - Redesigned extension preferences dialog
- - Customizable shortcut key for invoking the Panic Button action. Choose from any of the function keys (F1 to F12), as well as the arrow keys, Page Up and Page Down, and a few others. These can be combined with modifier keys; e.g., Ctrl+Shift
- - Instantly customize the Panic Button toolbar button icon by right-clicking on the button and then selecting the desired icon from the Select An Icon panel. Available on Firefox 29 and newer; not available on Mac OS X
- - Now works when the browser is in Private Browsing mode. When the browser session is restored, the windows retain their Private Browsing status
- Version 188.8.131.52
- - Added translations for German and Hebrew
- - Extensions preferences in about:config are moved into the "extensions.*" preferences branch
- Version 1.5.2
- - Compatible with Firefox 20 and newer. Fixed missing toolbar icon issue that was present in Firefox 20 beta releases
- - Bug fix: Restore Session toolbar shows black-colored space below the toolbar content on Mac OS X
- Version 1.5.1
- - After installing Panic Button, the Panic Button toolbar button will be automatically added to the browser toolbar, if it is not there already
- - Bug fix: Missing title bar grippy for the Restore Session toolbar on Linux (bug 25171)
- - Styling improvements to the Restore Session toolbar icons, mainly for Mac users; the toolbar icons now provide visual feedback when they are being clicked on
- Version 1.5
- - New Panic Button action: "Hide and Replace." This hides all browser windows and replaces them with a browser window displaying a web page at a specific URL
- - Enhanced extension preferences dialog with descriptions of each Panic Button action
- - Fixed Panic Button toolbar icon image so that it appears in the correct size in Firefox 4 and newer on Windows and Mac
- - Miscellaneous behind-the-scenes cleanup
- Version 1.1.6
- - Bug fix: Custom toolbar button icon image not updated after adding the Panic Button toolbar button to a browser toolbar (bug 24258)
- Version 1.1.5
- - Bug fix: Panic Button toolbar button label defaults to a blank value (bug 24216)
- Version 1.1.4
- - Bug fix: Restore Bar title bar not appearing correctly on Mac OS X
- - Added Swedish translation
- Version 1.1.3
- - Compatible with Firefox 4.0 beta 6
- Version 1.1.2
- - Compatible with Firefox 3.1 beta 2
- - Added Danish, Polish, Slovak and Ukrainian translations
- Version 1.1.1
- - Bug fix: Customizations to the Panic Button toolbar button image and label aren't automatically applied when adding the toolbar button to the Firefox window (bug 18954)
- Version 1.1
- - New option in the extension preferences dialog (Customize tab) to choose an image file on your computer as the Panic Button toolbar button image
- - Bug fix: Clicking OK in the extension preferences dialog didn't close the dialog box if the Panic Button toolbar button wasn't added to the browser toolbar (bug 19774)
- - Other minor improvements
- Version 1.0
- - Added more toolbar button icon images, increasing the icon choices to 20
- - Added support for several non-English locales
- Version 0.9.3
- - Improved default toolbar button icon
- - Bug fix: Mac OS X - Extension preferences dialog is totally blank (bug 19025)
- - Bug fix: Mac OS X - Restore Session toolbar doesn't work (bug 19026)
- - Bug fix: Mac OS X - Quit action doesn't quit (bug 19027)
- - Bug fix: Mac OS X - F9 key conflict with Exposé (bug 19024)
- - Bug fix: Linux - Extension preferences dialog is missing an OK button (bug 19051)
- Version 0.9.2
- - First public beta release on AE Creations