Clippings » quick start guide
This is a brief guide to using Clippings for Firefox and Thunderbird.
The information presented here applies to Clippings version 5.5 (for Firefox ESR 52.x and Thunderbird) and version 6 (for Firefox 57 and newer). Differences between versions are noted below.
Creating a New Clipping
There are several ways to create a clipping item:
- From a text box or browser content area in Firefox. Select the text you want, then right-click and choose Clippings → New.
Hint: If you want the entire contents of a text box, you don't need to select it; it will be picked up automatically.
- From the message compose window in Thunderbird. Select the desired text, then right-click and choose Clippings → New From Selection.
- Using drag 'n drop (Thunderbird only). Select the desired text, then drag it to the Clippings status bar icon.
Pasting a Clipping
In Firefox, to paste a clipping into a text box on a web page, right-click on the text box and choose the clipping to paste from the Clippings submenu.
In Thunderbird, right-click on the body of the message composition window:
Use Clippings Manager to edit, rename or delete clippings, or organize your clippings collection into folders. You can also import or export your clippings from Clippings Manager.
To invoke Clippings Manager, do one of the following:
- Click on the Clippings toolbar button (in Thunderbird, double-click on the Clippings status bar icon); OR,
- Right-click on a text box (in Thunderbird, right-click on the body of the message composition window) and choose Clippings → Organize Clippings.
Hint: Editing actions such a renaming or modifying clipping contents take effect immediately. To reverse an edit, rename, delete or move operation, click the Undo button.